Rear of car creaking
Reply to Thread

Thanks
    Hey guys,

My car has been doing this all the time, and I haven't really thought anything of it.

Whenever the handbrake is applied, and someone gets in the car, the back of the car creaks quite loudly, and when i stop on a hill, put the handbrake on, and release the brake pedal, it creaks really loudly.

Basically, it sounds as if the drums are creaking whenever I apply/release the handbrake.

Any ideas what it could be? Should I get it checked out? I still get the squeaking from my rear bushes every now and then. Do you think it could be them?

Cheers guys.

Cripple.

Thanks
    Loads of cars do it, nothing to worry about I don't think.
    Andy. Mk2b 1.2 8v Active - black

Thanks
    i have had the same thing since november, ive had everything checked and been told rear bushes is most likely cause but hassle to get them changed, so ive resorted to spending money on new ICE so cant hear it anymore!

Thanks
    Mine does it, just another little fiat thing dont worry about it
    Puntomk2 - your one stop shop for all things related to Clio 1*2's and other Renault Sport models. Oh, you may ask about punto's too but please not too much

Thanks
    Sweet.

Cheers.

Cripple.

Thanks
    Yeh my mk2b does it aswell, more so if you park facing downhill i find

Thanks
    yeah as said above it is a comen thing with the punto but unfortunetly it gets wors!!!! mine has done it for a long time and it eventuel turns into your hand break just not doing what it should. what most people would put it down to is just the break cable slakening but its not (as u can losen/tighten and it doesnt make a differance. last week i had it cheked out and whats happened to mine is the break pistons on the back have sezed so there is a considerable loss of presure. need replacing. dont know how much im lookin at though

IM DYSLEXIC SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simno44 View Post
    yeah as said above it is a comen thing with the punto but unfortunetly it gets wors!!!! mine has done it for a long time and it eventuel turns into your hand break just not doing what it should. what most people would put it down to is just the break cable slakening but its not (as u can losen/tighten and it doesnt make a differance. last week i had it cheked out and whats happened to mine is the break pistons on the back have sezed so there is a considerable loss of presure. need replacing. dont know how much im lookin at though
    Let us know in this thread when you find out.

Cripple.

Thanks
    You can easily replace the pistons with a Haynes manual and basic tools

they are 30 for both sides on Shop4Parts

Thanks
    shudnt be to much its only a small thing

The Twingo owner formerly known as John.Goold

Thanks
    The creaking on a bank is just the rear handbrake drums not being applied tight enough. It doesn't happen on cars with rear disc brakes or brand new rear drums. It is usually the friction material (shoe) inside the drum that has worn out, and potentially the inner face of the drum. Also the pistons tend to wear out and can need replacing.

Nothing to worry about, just keep your foot on the brake on a very very steep bank, and leave it in gear when parked up. Having the rear brakes overhauled wouldn't go down badly though!

Thanks
    I've got a full service coming up in the next two months or so anyway so... meh lol.

Cripple.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John.Goold View Post
    The creaking on a bank is just the rear handbrake drums not being applied tight enough. It doesn't happen on cars with rear disc brakes or brand new rear drums. It is usually the friction material (shoe) inside the drum that has worn out, and potentially the inner face of the drum. Also the pistons tend to wear out and can need replacing.

Nothing to worry about, just keep your foot on the brake on a very very steep bank, and leave it in gear when parked up. Having the rear brakes overhauled wouldn't go down badly though!
    in relation to the above. i still have trouble with my rear pistons and when parking on a slope i always stik it in 1st or 2nd. then after i have taken my foot off the break pedal the car slips forword onto and is only held by the gears. my hand break is pants. would this be dmaging my gears at all???? thanks. Si

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simno44 View Post
    in relation to the above. i still have trouble with my rear pistons and when parking on a slope i always stik it in 1st or 2nd. then after i have taken my foot off the break pedal the car slips forword onto and is only held by the gears. my hand break is pants. would this be dmaging my gears at all???? thanks. Si
    Personally I don't like leaving my car parked in gear. Only if I really have to.

If you can I'd take your car to a garage and get the back brakes serviced, and then tighten them up accordingly until it holds. It should hold the car tight on around 4 click of the handbrake IMO.

Don't know if it would cause any damage though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John.Goold View Post
    Personally I don't like leaving my car parked in gear. Only if I really have to.

If you can I'd take your car to a garage and get the back brakes serviced, and then tighten them up accordingly until it holds. It should hold the car tight on around 4 click of the handbrake IMO.

Don't know if it would cause any damage though!
    yeah it wont coz my pistons have sized so tightenong does nothing at all

Thanks
    loose the heffers from the back
    ///M

Thanks
    Mine clicks about 6 - 7 times. May have to get it tightened. It also does it when I have the hand brake applied, and i press down hard on the brake pedal, then ill do it again, and it won't creak.

Cripple.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
    Mine clicks about 6 - 7 times. May have to get it tightened. It also does it when I have the hand brake applied, and i press down hard on the brake pedal, then ill do it again, and it won't creak.

Cripple.
    You can tighten it yourself. Unclip the rear ashtray thing which is just on the floor behind the handbrake. There is then a single small hex key bolt which needs removing. You should then see a nut, about 10mm. Tighten this accordingly and it will adjust the handbrake - Just don't over do it!