Rear of car creaking
Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Farnborough
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    EliotG is offline
    Hey guys,

    My car has been doing this all the time, and I haven't really thought anything of it.

    Whenever the handbrake is applied, and someone gets in the car, the back of the car creaks quite loudly, and when i stop on a hill, put the handbrake on, and release the brake pedal, it creaks really loudly.

    Basically, it sounds as if the drums are creaking whenever I apply/release the handbrake.

    Any ideas what it could be? Should I get it checked out? I still get the squeaking from my rear bushes every now and then. Do you think it could be them?

    Cheers guys.

    Cripple.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Skipton, North Yorks
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    P88AAW is offline
    Loads of cars do it, nothing to worry about I don't think.
    Andy. Mk2b 1.2 8v Active - black
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    buckinghamshire
    Posts
    313
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Baby_Lambo is offline
    i have had the same thing since november, ive had everything checked and been told rear bushes is most likely cause but hassle to get them changed, so ive resorted to spending money on new ICE so cant hear it anymore!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,837
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 189 Times in 131 Posts
    Matt is offline
    Mine does it, just another little fiat thing dont worry about it
    Puntomk2 - your one stop shop for all things related to Clio 1*2's and other Renault Sport models. Oh, you may ask about punto's too but please not too much
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Farnborough
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    EliotG is offline
    Sweet.

    Cheers.

    Cripple.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    mdeko is offline
    Yeh my mk2b does it aswell, more so if you park facing downhill i find

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Leeds and Filey
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    simno44 is offline
    yeah as said above it is a comen thing with the punto but unfortunetly it gets wors!!!! mine has done it for a long time and it eventuel turns into your hand break just not doing what it should. what most people would put it down to is just the break cable slakening but its not (as u can losen/tighten and it doesnt make a differance. last week i had it cheked out and whats happened to mine is the break pistons on the back have sezed so there is a considerable loss of presure. need replacing. dont know how much im lookin at though

    IM DYSLEXIC SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Farnborough
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    EliotG is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by simno44 View Post
    yeah as said above it is a comen thing with the punto but unfortunetly it gets wors!!!! mine has done it for a long time and it eventuel turns into your hand break just not doing what it should. what most people would put it down to is just the break cable slakening but its not (as u can losen/tighten and it doesnt make a differance. last week i had it cheked out and whats happened to mine is the break pistons on the back have sezed so there is a considerable loss of presure. need replacing. dont know how much im lookin at though
    Let us know in this thread when you find out.

    Cripple.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Near Guildford
    Posts
    11,879
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Mark is offline
    You can easily replace the pistons with a Haynes manual and basic tools

    they are 30 for both sides on Shop4Parts

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Leeds and Filey
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    simno44 is offline
    shudnt be to much its only a small thing

    IM DYSLEXIC SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11

    The Twingo owner formerly known as John.Goold

    JSG's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,880
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    JSG is offline
    The creaking on a bank is just the rear handbrake drums not being applied tight enough. It doesn't happen on cars with rear disc brakes or brand new rear drums. It is usually the friction material (shoe) inside the drum that has worn out, and potentially the inner face of the drum. Also the pistons tend to wear out and can need replacing.

    Nothing to worry about, just keep your foot on the brake on a very very steep bank, and leave it in gear when parked up. Having the rear brakes overhauled wouldn't go down badly though!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Farnborough
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    EliotG is offline
    I've got a full service coming up in the next two months or so anyway so... meh lol.

    Cripple.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Leeds and Filey
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    simno44 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by John.Goold View Post
    The creaking on a bank is just the rear handbrake drums not being applied tight enough. It doesn't happen on cars with rear disc brakes or brand new rear drums. It is usually the friction material (shoe) inside the drum that has worn out, and potentially the inner face of the drum. Also the pistons tend to wear out and can need replacing.

    Nothing to worry about, just keep your foot on the brake on a very very steep bank, and leave it in gear when parked up. Having the rear brakes overhauled wouldn't go down badly though!
    in relation to the above. i still have trouble with my rear pistons and when parking on a slope i always stik it in 1st or 2nd. then after i have taken my foot off the break pedal the car slips forword onto and is only held by the gears. my hand break is pants. would this be dmaging my gears at all???? thanks. Si

    IM DYSLEXIC SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14

    The Twingo owner formerly known as John.Goold

    JSG's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,880
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    JSG is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by simno44 View Post
    in relation to the above. i still have trouble with my rear pistons and when parking on a slope i always stik it in 1st or 2nd. then after i have taken my foot off the break pedal the car slips forword onto and is only held by the gears. my hand break is pants. would this be dmaging my gears at all???? thanks. Si
    Personally I don't like leaving my car parked in gear. Only if I really have to.

    If you can I'd take your car to a garage and get the back brakes serviced, and then tighten them up accordingly until it holds. It should hold the car tight on around 4 click of the handbrake IMO.

    Don't know if it would cause any damage though!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Leeds and Filey
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    simno44 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by John.Goold View Post
    Personally I don't like leaving my car parked in gear. Only if I really have to.

    If you can I'd take your car to a garage and get the back brakes serviced, and then tighten them up accordingly until it holds. It should hold the car tight on around 4 click of the handbrake IMO.

    Don't know if it would cause any damage though!
    yeah it wont coz my pistons have sized so tightenong does nothing at all

    IM DYSLEXIC SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tarporley
    Posts
    3,785
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    bungle is offline
    loose the heffers from the back
    ///M
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Farnborough
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    EliotG is offline
    Mine clicks about 6 - 7 times. May have to get it tightened. It also does it when I have the hand brake applied, and i press down hard on the brake pedal, then ill do it again, and it won't creak.

    Cripple.

  18. #18

    The Twingo owner formerly known as John.Goold

    JSG's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,880
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    JSG is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
    Mine clicks about 6 - 7 times. May have to get it tightened. It also does it when I have the hand brake applied, and i press down hard on the brake pedal, then ill do it again, and it won't creak.

    Cripple.
    You can tighten it yourself. Unclip the rear ashtray thing which is just on the floor behind the handbrake. There is then a single small hex key bolt which needs removing. You should then see a nut, about 10mm. Tighten this accordingly and it will adjust the handbrake - Just don't over do it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.0