Clutch Pedal Hard
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks
    Hi guys, my clutch pedal is really hard to compared to every other car I've ever driven. Other cars, the clutch goes down as smoothly as the gas pedal but on mine it required alot more force. I havn't driven any other mk2 punto's so thought it might just be the mk2 punto's but now I'm thinking it could be my car. I've driven a grande and the clutch was as smooth as the gas pedal # Also this isn't jut one of those problems where only the driver notices it, I asked a mechanic when I had the car in for some other work if he thought my clutch was quite hard and he thought it was aswell, its just a ballache after football when you've got to slam your foot down and you've already got cramp in your left calf. My dad thinks I could I have an air gap and having the clutch slave cylinder bled would solve this. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Leo; 27th December 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah bleed it is your first port of call.

Thanks
    air in the system shouldn't make it any harder. my hgt had a heavy clutch, i presume the rest are the same, but it was no stiffer than most performance cars, subaru's, evo's etc.

depends what you're used i suppose, stuff like corsa's etc have shitty light clutches with no feel, same with the brakes. a clutch shouldn't be as light as the 'gas' pedal

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Punto Pete View Post
    air in the system shouldn't make it any harder. my hgt had a heavy clutch, i presume the rest are the same, but it was no stiffer than most performance cars, subaru's, evo's etc.

depends what you're used i suppose, stuff like corsa's etc have shitty light clutches with no feel, same with the brakes. a clutch shouldn't be as light as the 'gas' pedal
    Yeah I hear you on that buuuut I have a 1.2 8v and not the 1.8 HGT, you rubbed it in more LOL
    I know it should go down just like the gas pedal but its usually softer than what mine currently is like, but yeah I'll get the system bled and then see what it's like after that.

Thanks
    makes no difference whether its a hgt or an 8v. it's more to do with the strength of the spring on the pedal and how much leverage is placed on the thrust bearing.

when i had my clutch made, the guy made me a much stronger uprated clutch, but was able to make the feel of it lighter.

Thanks
    Sometimes when I'm in neutral, I can't get the car into first gear.. I think it's my clutch release bearing. Do you think this could be related to my clutch being hard to depress?

Thanks
    Does it only struggle to go into first from cold or all the time? Punto's tend to try and refuse 1st when cold ime. My 8v clutch was heavy as hell, sporting is a little lighter but not much, I think its just punto's dude.

Thanks
    yeah my clutch isnt exactly the easiest to manouvre, other cars ive had to drive are micras,corsas and polos and they all seemed like the clutch was as easy as the accelerator to push down but i put that down to them being tinny cars, i dont mind the hold of the clutch on the punto

Thanks
    my punto clutch seems really light, not quite gas pedal, but not too far off, i had a micra before, and that was a lot heavier. i have noticed though, that it is a bit harder to get into first and second when its cold.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Prater View Post
    Does it only struggle to go into first from cold or all the time? Punto's tend to try and refuse 1st when cold ime. My 8v clutch was heavy as hell, sporting is a little lighter but not much, I think its just punto's dude.
    Yeah it always struggles to go into 1st and 2nd when cold, this week with the snow I thought I was going to snap the gear lever trying to get into 2nd lol! Anyway once the car warms up, the gear's are smoother but I often try to give the car a few mins to warm up anyway with this weather. Anyway the prob with my gears is basically this....I sit at traffic lights in neutral, or whenever I'm stationary for more than a few secs. But sometime it won't go into bloody first, this is with a warm engine btw. My dad thinks it could be the alignment of my selector fork, I've also managed to grind 2nd to 3rd on rare occasions aswell. It's as if there something in the way, like half way between getting the gear fully into gear if you know what I mean. The lever only goes so far and then it's stuck against something and I have to put it back into neutral again then back into gear. This doesn't happen all the time btw, I've gone 2 weeks without having any problems and had some days where it happens 3 times :/

Thanks
    try changing the gearbox oil

or it could be clutch wear

Thanks
    try changing the gearbox oil

or it could be clutch wear
    Yeah i'll get onto it, cheers man

Thanks
    i wondered the same thing when i got mine but you just get used to it, as stated thing its a punto thing

Thanks
    gearbox oil should really be changed every couple of years to protect the box. more often if u thrash/track it

Thanks
    gearbox oil should really be changed every couple of years to protect the box. more often if u thrash/track it
    Doubt mine ahs been changed for a very long time tbh.. the car came with no service history when I bought it. It did have a new oil filter on though, so I assumed a recent service. But I changed the spark plugs a few days ago and the old ones were rusty. I'll get in touch with a garage about getting the transmission oil flushed and filled with some new stuff Hope it's not to much. I paid 60 for an engine flush and new oil. I didn't have time to get my own oil and also getting under the car is a ballache for me. I need one of those trolley's with wheels on to get under the car haha

Thanks
    I change box/engine oil without jacking up lol tbf theres loads of room.

Thanks
    its a simple job tbh. doesn't take long, no flush involved, just empty then fill.

not sure about other models but the hgt takes 2 litres of gear oil, so won't be an expensive job

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyc5 View Post
    I change box/engine oil without jacking up lol tbf theres loads of room.
    Is it an allen key I need to undo under the gear box? Then theres another thing on the top where the oil goes in right? I've got a haynes manual somewhere, so i'll have to look it up but any pointers on here would be good