How can I turn off the engine management light (flashing)?
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks
    The engine management light has been flashing on my car for a while, and a few people have looked at it and read the codes and said there is nothing wrong. I assumed it was a problem with the ECU, but after replacing it, it is still flashing.

Again have had the codes read and nothing found, and I could really do to turn it off now I'm thinking of selling. Is there any way I can do that short of removing the bulb (which lets face it if you are selling a car is dishonest)? The car is running great, has had a lot of work done on it so there is definitely no problem.

Have tried the phonic relearn thing in the past (rev 3x when fan has kicked in) with no joy.

Would really appreciate any advice as I am not sure what to try next!

Thanks
    When the engine management light flashes it is often the coil pack, HT leads or plugs that are at fault.

It is strange though how yours runs fine and nothing shows up when read with a code reader
    Team Low
    Hydraulics... no it stays that low all the time!

Thanks
    I know I'm stumped, I've done a search and the only advice is to get the codes read.

It's had a coilpack, ht leads & everything has been checked. I hoped the ecu was perhaps causing the fault, but it must be something else. I'm reluctant to spend any more money diagnosing the fault tbh.

Thanks
    try removing the bulb ;-)

Thanks
    black tape over the dash symbol

Thanks
    I've got black tape over it for now! Seems a bit dishonest selling it without the bulb in though, I'm tempted to just trade in to get rid and cut my losses. I personally wouldn't buy a car with the light flashing and I'm sure it would mean people would take the mick offering daft amounts.

Could well be a mystery that never gets solved!

Thanks
    How about using Fiat ECU Scan http://www.fiatecuscan.net/ and run live logging and see if anything interesting gets flagged up when the light comes on? You can get a VAGCom KKL cable for a tenner.

Thanks
    let it get to normal operating temps then rev it to the limiter then idle and do it 5 times should go out then

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ck-de View Post
    let it get to normal operating temps then rev it to the limiter then idle and do it 5 times should go out then
    What?? Is everyone putting in a random suggestion?

The engine light will go out after a certain number of key turns in the ignition, depending on the fault. The code will still be logged. Also try resetting the ecu, disconnect battery for half an hour etc.

A flashing eml usually indicates a fault resulting in/caused by a misfire

Thanks
    flashing engine light means missfire, strange that its not storing codes though

Thanks
    if its flashing it means its lost its referance points or never had them as its a new ecu and needs to do its adaptions, if theres a misfire it will see it and store the code thats why theres no codes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ck-de View Post
    I hope you joking lol

Thanks
    yeah its a joke,i worked for fiat and alfa for years and have no idea how to fix them

Thanks
    Flashing engine light is caused by the cat seeing a large amount of fuel (rich), detected by the first lambda sensor. If you don't believe me have a look in your owners handbook.

Usually caused by misfire: spark plugs, ignition leads, coil packs
    can be caused by: sticky injectors (staying open to long)

I would try spark plugs first to see what they look like then work from there.

As for revving the engine to the limit I wouldn't reccomend that (it may stop flashing, but thats only because you've warmed up the engine and exhaust, preventing it being detected -this would only be temporary)

To add: it will have a pending code when flashing, then stored when the engine light is solid.

-Andy
    Clio RS200 393bhp 325lb/ft!!! Seicento 1.2 8v turbo 197bhp!!
    Panda 1.4 16v turbo 160bhp Punto Mk2 1.2 8v turbo 135bhp Punto MK2 1.2 8v NA 98bhp

Thanks
    i just remembered, last time my coil pack started playing up i had flashing light but no codes, pack had split and damp was getting in

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Like I said the light has been flashing for years, and nobody has been able to find anything, I agree that something is wrong somewhere or else it wouldn't be flashing.

However, things have now taken a turn for the worse. The car will not start at all. It turns over OK, fuel primes but it is not sparking. Have checked the obvious (battery, spark plugs, fuses) and have got a horrible feeling it is the new ECU. Have only had the car back a few days so it seems a bit of a coincidence. Have contacted the person who sold me the ECU and am awaiting a reply.

I did wonder if it was something to do with the immobiliser but the "code" light goes off after a few seconds with the ignition on. One thing that did confuse me is the "EOBD" and "fuel injector" warning lights - they both look the same? Handbook says the fuel injector light should go off after a few seconds, and the EOBD one should stay on until engine starts. Are they the same light, if so is that not contradictory?

I really need to get one of those leads and do a scan and see if that sheds any light on anything. Will try and get one off ebay now! Really at the end of my tether with this so any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
    refit old ecu? and see if it starts?

-Andy
    Clio RS200 393bhp 325lb/ft!!! Seicento 1.2 8v turbo 197bhp!!
    Panda 1.4 16v turbo 160bhp Punto Mk2 1.2 8v turbo 135bhp Punto MK2 1.2 8v NA 98bhp

Thanks
    I thought that seemed like a logical next move, cheers for that, started first time (obviously misfire back because the unit is knackered) so it is a problem with the new ECU.

Unfortunately the guy is away over the next few days so not a lot I can do in the meantime. It just seems strange how it was working then all of a sudden the car wont start. Could it be something to do with the immobiliser? Or is it more likely that it is just a dodgy unit?