Fiat Punto 16v Speedgear, 1st timed DA polished
Reply to Thread

Thanks
    my CYC Das6pro arrived last week with Manz 2400 + 4500 compound polish, orange + black HEX pads.

Had a try today with it, never done it before using a machine polisher. Been watching YouTube on how I should approach polishing

So here goes, picture quality in the garage isn't my best photos.

I snow foamed and washed the car, rinsed, then I used a waft of snow foam back over the car and used that as my lube for claying the car
    Then washed all that off, dried with micro fibre towels.
    Got the car in the garage, tried to take some pix of the swirls and 'marks' in the paint work.. but they didn't show up.

I started with the Orange pad and the Menz 2400. Worked on half the bonnet, up down - left right. Did that a few times then polish/buffed off with a micro fibre noodle mitt. Once I felt confident with the machine, I worked my way around the car.
    Tried the low tack tape before/after.. but TBH, I couldn't see that much difference on the yellow lol

Then started again with the Black Hex and the Menz 4500 - this is such a soft pad to work with but buffed and polished using a soft micro fibre towel.

I have to say that not all my marks have come out with the 2400 and the orange Hex, but such an improvement on how it was before, I can live with them for now. I think with time and spending a bit more time working it in they might almost go.... But I think my car's had a number of re sprays that you can see the over spray blend out, orange peel paint work now I have it feeling polish smooth.

The Black Hex and the 4500 just fine polished the car lovely. I see what JunkMan means when he says you can leave your car like that.

Once the car was 4500 polished I finished with going over the whole car with AngelWax QED (deatiling spray). I did think of going over it with some liquid wax, but time was pressing on.. and I'd already been on it three hours lol

Conclusion:
    Very impressed with the Das6 Pro and products used. With time I'll get better at it. I did find the DA was easy to used one handed using the hoop handle and a support for the top of my hand. The extra length of cable is handy too. Glad I went for the CYC group buy discount.

Questions:
    1: How much Menz should I be applying to the area I'm working on, do I need the whole panel to be totally cover in the cream.. and re apply to the pad and a bit on the panels as I go?
    2: How many sweeps on an area should I be doing? (until the cream has dried up and almost gone?)

next car to do is the wife's Focus, then I'll do the Scoob
    Phil

This is a snarling performance car that would give the likes of the Porsche 911 a run for its money on a twisting B-road.
    Autoexpress' Jack Rix's comment on the 330s

2. Remove Advertisements
    PuntoGrande.co.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Looking good!

Thanks
    Looks good, makes me want to do mine haha

Ain't your average motherfucker, I'm a motherfuckin' G

5. Remove Advertisements
    PuntoGrande.co.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks
    group buy on the Das6 pro DA polisher... delivered 99 if you're interested

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...+pro+group+buy
    Phil

This is a snarling performance car that would give the likes of the Porsche 911 a run for its money on a twisting B-road.
    Autoexpress' Jack Rix's comment on the 330s

Thanks
    Oh I have one, I just can't be bothered to use it. Too cold.

Ain't your average motherfucker, I'm a motherfuckin' G

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by salsa-king View Post
    my CYC Das6pro arrived last week with Manz 2400 + 4500 compound polish, orange + black HEX pads.

Had a try today with it, never done it before using a machine polisher. Been watching YouTube on how I should approach polishing

So here goes, picture quality in the garage isn't my best photos.

I snow foamed and washed the car, rinsed, then I used a waft of snow foam back over the car and used that as my lube for claying the car
    Then washed all that off, dried with micro fibre towels.
    Got the car in the garage, tried to take some pix of the swirls and 'marks' in the paint work.. but they didn't show up.

I started with the Orange pad and the Menz 2400. Worked on half the bonnet, up down - left right. Did that a few times then polish/buffed off with a micro fibre noodle mitt. Once I felt confident with the machine, I worked my way around the car.
    Tried the low tack tape before/after.. but TBH, I couldn't see that much difference on the yellow lol

Then started again with the Black Hex and the Menz 4500 - this is such a soft pad to work with but buffed and polished using a soft micro fibre towel.

I have to say that not all my marks have come out with the 2400 and the orange Hex, but such an improvement on how it was before, I can live with them for now. I think with time and spending a bit more time working it in they might almost go.... But I think my car's had a number of re sprays that you can see the over spray blend out, orange peel paint work now I have it feeling polish smooth.

The Black Hex and the 4500 just fine polished the car lovely. I see what JunkMan means when he says you can leave your car like that.

Once the car was 4500 polished I finished with going over the whole car with AngelWax QED (deatiling spray). I did think of going over it with some liquid wax, but time was pressing on.. and I'd already been on it three hours lol

Conclusion:
    Very impressed with the Das6 Pro and products used. With time I'll get better at it. I did find the DA was easy to used one handed using the hoop handle and a support for the top of my hand. The extra length of cable is handy too. Glad I went for the CYC group buy discount.

Questions:
    1: How much Menz should I be applying to the area I'm working on, do I need the whole panel to be totally cover in the cream.. and re apply to the pad and a bit on the panels as I go?
    2: How many sweeps on an area should I be doing? (until the cream has dried up and almost gone?)

next car to do is the wife's Focus, then I'll do the Scoob
    With regards to your questions.

First prime the pad. People have various ways of doing this but to get the best cut and effect you need to spready polish allover the pad and massage it in to the pad. Then I usually go for 3 pea sized blobs in a triangle shape on the pad. I then press the pad with the polish on the panel in various areas to aid spreading the polish.

Don't aim to do a big area in one go as the polish can dry on and make it hard work to remove. Menzerna polish is nice to use and fairly oily so doesn't dry out too quickly but for future reference only aim to polish a 2x2 foot square area. On a punto you may get away with doing half a bonnet but probably best splitting into 3 or 4 sections.

I'm not sure how much you know about polishing already but be aware that menzerna polish needs to be broken down fully to work properly and efficiently. Keep hand speed slow and don't rush. You should be aiming for over 5-8 passess per set done. 2 slowish speeds, 1 middle, 2 fast, 2 mid to slow. This all depends on the polish you use, the heat in the panel, the weather conditions etc.

In case you don't realise this is what I do daily now and have given up my previous job to persue this business. Any questions please feel free to ask on here or send an email over to info@jdetailing.co.uk. I don't check this forum that much lately these days.

Car history: Punto- 1.2 8v mk2b had all sorts done to it.
    Seat Leon - Boring
    Supercharged Mx5 mk1 with loads of mods. Running 180bhp with RWD fun!
    Current - Mk3 Mx5 2.0 liter sport, panel filter, lowering springs and full geo alignment. Few small mods... Watch this space.